Time & Location
About the Event
The aims of the journey will be:
- To put together all the aspects of your training in a true expedition setting,
- Exercise the 'what-if' scenarios, e.g. hypothermia, hypoglycaemie, etc, throughout so that no matter what we face as a team, we are are properly prepared,
- Count Polar Bears en route - cubs come out in April so we should see some!
We will either:
- Traverse the hinterland of Spitsbergen for 8 days,
- Journey to a position where we can experience sea ice conditions and operate as if we were on expedition from there,
- The route and daily training content will be according to prevailing conditions and team performance.
We will arrive on 25 March, stay the night of 26 March and get out 27 March. Coming back we will arrive into town 2 April and leave on 3 April.
Book as soon as possible. Booking is only accepted with payment.
Svalbard Flight Guidance
They change the flight times, duration and route according to conditions, logistics and trafiic.
- Book as early as possible - huge savings can be had,
- Book with SAS (recommended),
- Tell Becky and others about your flights - share transport where possible,
- Book your skis in if you have them and extra baggage online - it is much cheaper.
- Fly to Torp, Oslo - logistics are a nightmare and ends up costing the same or more,
- Get the dates wrong (on the way to Svalbard you frequently have to stay overnight in Oslo),
- Get flights that do not go where you want to go - overnight you in a far corner of the world - take a week or two to get there - means that you have to cart all your gear across half of Oslo or leave you shattered for the start of the expedition.
An alternative for those wanting to take in Oslo is to take the earlier flight and then the flytoget train into Oslo (costs around £30) - stay at one of the Thom Hotels in the city centre and visit the Fram Museum (highly recommended). You will need an early morning start to arrive back to the airport in time for your 0955 flight to Tromso/Longyearbyen. At Tromso the flight refuels before going north and passengers disembark - go to the departure gate and through passport control to get back on board (your luggage stays on board).
The course fee includes:
- Accommodation and food,
- Instruction and supervision,
- All team equipment not listed below.
The following items are not included -
- Personal kit and clothing
- Travel to/from Longyearbyen
- Accommodation outside of the course dates
- Insurance - compulsory - please contact Becky with proof
- Last night meal at the restaurant
- Beer, wine, etc.
Equipment and Kit List
This will be sent to you on receiving your Enrolment Form. There are certain items of Arctic kit which you will need including suitable skis, poles, bindings and boots as well as down clothing.
- Training Expedition£2,000£2,0000£0