Sat, 23 Mar|
Svalbard Traverse Expedition 2024 (1)
An incredible all encompassing experience of the island of Spitsbergen, Svalbard. For those with existing winter and polar skills
Time & Location
23 Mar 2024, 12:00 – 03 Apr 2024, 14:00
Longyearbyen, Longyearbyen, Svalbard and Jan Mayen
About the Event
The aims of the journey will be:
- To experience the glorious Spitsbergen wilderness and everything it throws at us.
- Count Polar Bears en route
We will either:
- Traverse the hinterland of Spitsbergen for 8 days,
- Journey to a position where we can experience sea ice conditions and operate as if we were on expedition from there,
- The route and daily training content will be according to prevailing conditions and team performance.
Book as soon as possible. Booking is only accepted with payment.
Svalbard Flight Guidance
They change the flight times, duration and route according to conditions, logistics and trafiic.
- Book as early as possible - huge savings can be had,
- Book with SAS (recommended),
- Tell Sam and others about your flights - share transport where possible,
- Book your skis in if you have them and extra baggage online - it is much cheaper.
- Fly to Torp, Oslo - logistics are a nightmare and ends up costing the same or more,
- Get the dates wrong (on the way to Svalbard you frequently have to stay overnight in Oslo),
- Get flights that do not go where you want to go - overnight you in a far corner of the world - take a week or two to get there - means that you have to cart all your gear across half of Oslo or leave you shattered for the start of the expedition.
An alternative for those wanting to take in Oslo is to take the earlier flight and then the flytoget train into Oslo (costs around £30) - stay at one of the Thom Hotels in the city centre and visit the Fram Museum (highly recommended). You will need an early morning start to arrive back to the airport in time for your 0955 flight to Tromso/Longyearbyen. At Tromso the flight refuels before going north and passengers disembark - go to the departure gate and through passport control to get back on board (your luggage stays on board).
The course fee includes:
- Accommodation and food,
- Instruction and supervision,
- All team equipment not listed below.
The following items are not included -
- Personal kit and clothing
- Travel to/from Longyearbyen
- Accommodation outside of the course dates
- Insurance - compulsory - please contact Sam with proof
- Last night meal at the restaurant
- Beer, wine, etc.
Equipment and Kit List
This will be sent to you on booking. There are certain items of Arctic kit which you will need including suitable skis, poles, bindings and boots as well as down clothing. We can supply all this at greatly reduced rates for our participants.
- Ticket type
Svalbard Traverse ExpeditionPrice£4,000.00